Thursday, October 30, 2008

Obama's "Yes We Can!"


How many of you can remember as a child and maybe even now as mature adults, reading that great motivator of a book, The Little Engine that Could by Watty Piper?

I can remember reading, and rereading it for myself (and to my daughters) because afterwards it made me feel as though I really could do anything if I tried hard enough and believed I could. “I think I can,” “I think I can.”

It occurred to me recently that in many ways, Obama’s central campaign slogan, “Yes We Can” is a sort of metaphor for that same little engine.

He represents and promotes the value of hard work and belief in our ability—as a nation—to create “CHANGE.” Like this children’s tale, which in some way is also a metaphor for the American Dream, Obama inspires us to once again believe in that dream; “America,” he tells us, “we are better than this.”

We all marvel at the success of this man’s campaign. He has proven his ability to keep climbing in the polls, surviving the McCain/Palin Mountains of suspicion and bigotry. His success shows us that his engine can, so far, do it. Survive it. Make it.

At this moment in our history, we find ourselves looking at the current turmoil in the U.S. economy where “we” are losing our jobs and our homes, "we" are paying more for food and fuel than ever, and "we" are still fighting and losing lives in what appears to be a war without end. And “we” acknowledge that "we" need to believe in that dream of change more than ever because all our lives, on some level have been affected.

Barak Obama, says to us "to the American people, to Democrats and Republicans and Independents across this great land -- enough! ...This moment, this election, is our chance to keep, in the 21st century, the American promise alive."

And now, Obama’s Engine That Could is scaling and on the precipice of –in just five days– the highest mountain yet. Through his noble-like eloquence, his knowledge and compassion, his language, and his belief in us, ALL of us, Obama brings us hope, and he brings us optimism for a better future. For the first time, in quite some time, here is a presidential candidate who actually emboldens us to be better, stronger and to stand up and challenge the status quo of the last 8 years. 

"Something better awaits us, if we have the courage to reach for it...we are one nation, we are one
people and our time for CHANGE has come " --Barak Obama

Can he triumph? Can he do it?

“I-think-I-can, I think I can”...

Can “We the people in order to form a more perfect union” do it?


Yes We Can!


No comments: